Please join us for the SEPTLA fall meeting at Moravian Theological Seminary! Due to unforeseen circumstances, the SEPTLA meeting has been rescheduled. NEW DATE: Friday, November 1.
I’m still working on the parking and am hopeful that attendees can still park in the College Hill Moravian Church lot. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your understanding,
10:00 Discussion of collection development policies
- Given your budget, which subject areas are a priority? Have they had to change as your budget changes?
- Does your policy provide a rationale (i.e., a principle derived from your institution’s faith-background) for the selection of all materials in your collection?
- Does your policy provide guidance for collection choices at the broad subject level only (i.e., Music), or does it contain guidelines for specific subsections (i.e., Baroque keyboard music)?
- As digital publications become more desirable and accessible, have you adjusted your policy to specify when electronic versions should be bought, when print ones should be bought, and when both should be bought? Do you now favor digital versions exclusively?
- How much do you rely on faculty input for new purchases? How much discretion does the librarian have in deciding which items to purchase?
- Does anybody “commit to retain” any portions of their collection?
- Based on a comparison of our subject specialties/purchasing priorities, can we hammer out a list of LC subject areas that show strengths