TeamWork Volume 36 Issue 1 (Spring 2019)

Table of Contents

SEPTLA Spring Meeting 2019 Invitation

Please join us for our next meeting Thursday, May 9, 2019, hosted by St. Charles Borromeo Seminary.

RSVPs accepted through April 25: jhumble [at] scs [dot] edu

Agenda (updated 5/6/2019)

9:00 – 9:30: Registration and continental breakfast

9:30 – 10:30: Slack workshop

10:45 – 11:45: Business meeting

12:00 – 1:00: Lunch

1:00 – 2:30: Report on collection development policies


Go to original post

Recent discussions surrounding the mission statement of Moravian Theological Seminary have reminded me of SEPTLA, for a trademark of both organizations involves community.  At Moravian, we pride ourselves on our hospitality and being a warm and welcoming environment, and I believe that SEPTLA embodies this same type of community.   As an organization, SEPTLA values collaboration, and members benefit from learning from one another.  Simply put, we are better together. At the hands-on spring meeting, scheduled for Thursday, May 9 at St. Charles Borromeo, we will be harnessing the collective wisdom of SEPTLA, sharing collection development policies and exploring Slack, a cloud-based collaborative tool.  SEPTLA members can use Slack to communicate with one another, asking questions and sharing best practices.  During break-out sessions, interest groups can brainstorm how they can use Slack to build community.  To get the most out of this workshop style meeting, please bring your own device—laptop, iPad, etc. During the business meeting, we will elect new leaders and revisit proposed changes to the bylaws, as well as the potential addition of an administrative assistant.  The proposed changes examine workflow and responsibilities.  All are welcome to participate in these discussions, which will be occurring concurrently in person and via video-conferencing (Zoom).  Please consider how you can join the conversation. I would also encourage you to become involved in the SEPTLA community by serving in a leadership role.  There are amble ways to serve.  Currently, the following positions are open:
  • Chair of the Continuing Education Committee
  • Member at large of the Continuing Education Committee
  • President
  • Secretary
If you would like to learn more about any of these opportunities, please contact me or the Past President, Myka Kennedy Stephens. In closing, I would like to leave you with Helen Keller’s words, which point to the value of community: “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” Elizabeth Young Miller SEPTLA President, 2018-2019
Go to original post
Updated May 6, 2019
    1. Welcome and Thanks
    2. Approval of Agenda
    3. Approval of Minutes from November 8, 2018
    4. Reports
      • Treasurer’s Report
      • Communications Committee
    5. Elections
      • President
      • Secretary
    6. Vacancies
      • Chair of Continuing Education Committee
      • Member at Large of the Continuing Education Committee
    7. Amendments to Bylaws
    8. Institutional News
    9. Other Business
    10. Conclusion

Go to original post

10:00 am – Video Conference (Zoom)

Attendees: Virginia Dearborn, Bob McInnes, Patrick Milas, Elizabeth Young Miller, James Humble, Greg Murray, Myka Kennedy Stephens
Excused: James Sauer, Chris Schwartz (interest group chairs)

    1. Welcome and announcements (Elizabeth)
      Called to order at 10:03 a.m.
    2. Approval of the agenda (Elizabeth)
      Approved by acclamation.
    3. Approval of the minutes from December 10, 2018 (Elizabeth)
      Approved by acclamation.
    4. Reports and Discussion
          1. Treasurer’s Report (Patrick)
            As of February 11, 2019, SEPTLA’s current balances are as follows:
            Non-profit Checking Acct (ending in 9912) = $5,032.54
            Money Market Acct (ending in 9552) = $6,746.43
            Total: $11,778.97
          2. Communications Committee (Virginia)
            Very pleased to welcome Greg Murray as Newsletter Editor. Greg would like a list of newsletter content by March 15, 2019; URLs of content already present on SEPTLA website. Any content not yet present on the site should be sent to Virginia. (Copy Virginia and Greg on everything, if that’s easier.) Lydia was a tremendous help in getting automatic backups established and the site updated. Thank you, Lydia! Slides from the now-disbanded Resource Sharing Task Force’s presentation at the Fall 2018 meeting have been uploaded to the website. Chris Schwartz requested and is managing a new Cataloging Resources page on the SEPTLA website. The one-per-page version of the SEPTLA Bookmark has been updated to reflect Biblical’s name change (now Missio). Print order for bookmarks on hold until Missio’s location change has happened.
          3. Cataloging and Metadata Interest Group (Chris)
            Chris was unable to attend today but sent a tentative topic (not posted to the SEPTLA listserv): library system modules for cataloging and metadata work. Also, she is managing a new Cataloging Resources page on the SEPTLA website.
          4. Research Services Interest Group (Jim Sauer)
            Jim was unable to attend today’s meeting.
          5. Spring meeting
            1. Save the Date: April 26, 2019 (Friday)*
              Jim Humble at Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary will be hosting the Spring SEPTLA meeting. Virginia will post a Save the Date message on the SEPTLA website, asking members to RSVP to Jim by April 12.
            2. SLACK
              Myka demonstrated Slack for the committee and sent invitations to executive committee to enter the SEPTLA workspace prior to the Spring meeting. Channels will be public to SEPTLA members who accept Slack invitations. Current channels in the workspace include # executive committee, # general, and # random. Slack will be the topic of a hands-on workshop at the meeting. Attendees will be encouraged to bring a laptop or tablet to the meeting so that they can enter and use the workspace. Myka will make Communications Committee members administrators in the space.
            3. Shared collection development
              The Spring meeting will also include a discussion about shared collection development.
            4. BYO – Invitation to the Spring meeting will include request for members to bring their library’s collection development policy and an internet-connected device (phone, tablet, laptop) to try out Slack.
            5. We will need Zoom (or other web conferencing tool) in order to include in the business meeting voting members from any libraries unable to travel to St. Charles.
            6. Elizabeth will check with the interest group chairs about possible interest group time on the meeting agenda.
    5. Adjourn (Elizabeth)

The Executive Committee will not meet again prior to the April 26 meeting at St. Charles.*
Adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

*Note: The date of the spring meeting has been changed to May 9, 2019 and that RSVPs are due to Jim Humble by April 25. The Executive Committee has also called another Zoom meeting for April 15.


Go to original post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.